14 Jan 2013 Leave a Comment
Looking for volunteers to help out at White Center 5K Walk and Run on February 16, 2013 from 8:00am-12:30pm. Looking for volunteers to help with registration, way-finding, passing out water, first aid or emergency help responding, collecting empty cups and disposing of them, cheer leading, passing out t-shirts, recovering timing chips at the end of the race, and cleaning-up. Contact Tony Vo if you are interested in volunteering at Whitecenter5k@gmail.com.
13 Dec 2012 Leave a Comment
Here is a chance to make a meaningful difference in the community while having fun. Share your passion for education and enrichment with students from diverse backgrounds. Drive them to succeed academically, inter-personally and socially.
Schedule: Mondays to Thursdays only, 3-6 pm
Location: Seola Gardens, 11215 5th Ave SW Suite D, Seattle WA 98146
BACKGROUND AND PROGRAM SCOPE:
Homework assistance and academic skill-building are provided to ensure students are, not only completing homework effectively, but are also learning concepts and skills. Social and Interpersonal skills are taught and modeled to students through various creative activities. We also engage students in a project-based learning model to explore a world of possibilities. Some of the projects students have enjoyed are watercolor-painting, baking and play-writing. Volunteers are needed to supervise and interact with the students during all activities.
- Assist effectively in homework completion through discussing and instruction, rather than giving the answers
- Assist with provided materials in building academic skills
- Assist with small group activities during social skill-building and project-based learning session
- Identify and utilize teachable moments to role-model and mentor students
- Chaperone during field trips, if and when needed
- Familiar in subject areas to provide quality homework assistance and academic skill-building
- Able to multi-task and help several students at a time
- Enthusiastic, friendly and positive
- Take initiative and problem-solve appropriately and professionally
- Complete tasks associated with daily space setup and shut-down
20 Nov 2012 Leave a Comment
Community Summit Volunteers,
Thank you so much for all your hard work during the Community Summit! This year’s event was a great success. Thank you for caring about our community.
17 Aug 2012 Leave a Comment
We are seeking White Center residents for our new White Center Promise Resident Advisory Committee to provide the WCP Core Leadership Team and staff with information and recommendations to ensure that WCP is constantly listening to and accountable to White Center’s children and families. The Resident Advisory Committee will be made up of 15 White Center residents selected for a one-year term through an application process. Thirty percent of the committee should be White Center parents and another 30% should be White Center youth. Selection criteria for the Resident Advisory Committee include:
- Members must represent the diversity of White Center;
- Members must represent a broad set of strengths and expertise;
- Members understand the challenges faced by those in poverty;
- Members have relationships and connections within the White Center community;
- Members believe in the possibility of lasting, positive change; and
- Members are able to commit to attend regular monthly meetings and at least two special events.
Please disseminate this info widely to your White Center families, friends and other connections. The roles and responsibilities of the committee are outlined in the document below and the 2-page application is below, as well. These are currently purely volunteer positions. Send your completed application to Laurie Bohm, Promise Neighborhood Project Director, email@example.com. Phone: (206) 694-1082 x173